Fire investigators in Evansville say a cigarette may be to blame for a fire at a duplex on South Lombard Ave. Firefighters say the flames pretty much stayed contained in one apartment.
Officials say the woman who lives here realized her mattress was on fire when she got out of the shower this afternoon. She tried to get out, but was overcome with smoke. That's when a fast-acting neighbor kicked the door in and pulled the woman to safety. And the woman is listed in stable condition tonight.
Investigators say the Building Commission checked out the rest of the building to make sure it was safe for the other resident to return to their homes.