South Heights Elementary School almost had an unwelcome guest Friday afternoon, asbestos. It ended up being a false alarm, but families are thankful their children are safe. "One of the mothers called me and told me, and I was in shock when they called me and told me that." Theresa Givens, a grandmother to some students that attend South Heights, says Friday was a scary day. "I'm the grandmother to the students there, about six of them. I was here when my daughter called me that night and told me that they wouldn't' be going to school Friday because of the asbestos," says Givens.
She says asbestos is not something you commonly hear about and immediately wondered what harm it could cause to her grandchildren. "I was trying to find out what kind of sicknesses it might cause to them and stuff." Givens has lived near South Heights her whole life. She is glad to hear the results are negative for her grandchildren's safety, and for another reason as well. "It's great. Yeah, it's nice because I didn't want the school to be ruined or anything you know. I went there when I was a kid all the way to sixth grade, so I loved it then. Yes, it holds a special place in my heart," says Givens.
School officials are relieved students can return to a healthy environment Monday morning, and this grandmother is too. "Yes, I am glad that that's not what happened."The asbestos inspection was made by the Department of Environmental Protection and P.A.C.E. Field Services Friday afternoon. A one call system has been made by the school to inform parents their students are safe to return to school monday morning.