A family of five is homeless this Wednesday morning after their house caught fire last night. Investigators tell us they were called out just after nine to a fire on Veterans Memorial Parkway and South Kentucky Street. The fire is believed to have started in one of the bedrooms where one of the kids caught a mattress on fire with a lighter. Fire investigator Steve Jordan says something like this is easy to be prevented. He says its important that parents keep their lighters away. Put them in a drawer or lock them away so the kids cant get to them. He says its a common thing that happens around here. One woman was sent to the hospital with burns on her hands. The house was a total loss. Fire crews were also called out to a suspicious fire early this morning. A house located at 648 Maryland Street caught on fire around 3:00 this morning. The house has been vacant for several years and didnt have any utilities inside. The second floor received fire and smoke damage. Investigators believe the house is salvageable and are still trying to figure out what sparked the fire. Fire crews are also working on a fire at Louisiana. According to dispatch two houses caught fire.