That is the 911 call made Wednesday afternoon when Amy Donaldson's home in Boonville caught fire. Today this story is getting a lot of attention because of Donaldson's dog. Minutes before Donaldson made the 911 call it was Cherry, her pit bull mix, who woke her up by frantically jumping and licking Donaldson's face. Donaldson says she owes her life to her four legged friend.
Wednesday is her one day off from the three jobs Donaldson currently works. Her three sons were in school and, for once, Donaldson says she had no errands to run. In the middle of a rare afternoon nap with her six dogs, a space heater caused her home to catch fire. It could have been a close call if it weren't for Cherry."She's my baby, yes she is. She is my guardian angel." Amy Donaldson says she wouldn't be standing here today if it weren't for this dog, Cherry. Their story begins long before Wednesday's fire that almost cost them both their life. Last summer Donaldson says she wanted to make a difference, so through the organization 'Bullie Nation' she started fostering dogs and helping them find a 'forever home.' "After seeing so many pictures, it's like somebody has to step up, and I don't understand why that can't be me. So, we did. We started fostering, and it looks like fostering might have saved my life." Donaldson says it's bitter sweet finding the dogs a home, but it has not been so easy for Cherry. After two homes said no to her furry friend, Amy Donaldson believes fate stepped in. "They turned her down, and I went right back and got her. The next afternoon she was waking me up making sure I didn't die of smoke inhalation." Donaldson says she never understood why Cherry couldn't find a home, but is glad she never did. Though one home was lost in the fire, another home was gained. Donaldson has decided to adopt her guardian angel. "I think she showed me yesterday that she wants to be with me. Cherry life savor yeah. Yeah, she's my favorite flavor of life savor. Now she's cherry life savor."
Donaldson says she is staying at a hotel with the help of the Red Cross, but she, her family, and her dogs lost everything in the fire.