Owensboro fire investigators are working to find out what sparked a fire at an historic building Friday afternoon. It happened around two oclock at 218 West 3rd Street. Employees at Kurtz Auction say they smelled smoke before noticing a blaze about the size of an open fire place. They quickly attacked the fire with extinguishers and then called 911. The fire was in the ceiling of the companys empty annex offices. Employees were grateful it didnt happen in the morning when no one was there because it could have spread to a nearby apartment.