NEWBURGH - The assistant Newburgh fire chief tells Eyewitness News it's common for people to be more vigilant in the days after disasters like the one at Sharon Place in Newburgh this weekend.
But there are simple things you can do to protect your home and your family.
The chard ruins of what was once Sharon Place sits. Two days later, the smell of burnt wood still lingers in the air.
Assistant chief Chad Bennett tells us, "You can smell it all through the town. It depends on which way the wind is blowing."
It's another reminder of what happened here this weekend: a memory that will be hard to escape.
"Unfortunately, when tragedies occur, a large fire, gas leaks or explosions like we've seen several happen lately, people get on edge a little more and maybe a little more aware of things that might already be around them but they just have not paid attention to," explains Bennett.
Looking at the devastation the flames left in their wake is tough for many here.
"You drive by this every day and this is kind of a big corner in the city that's gone so, I think the shock factor for everyone involved is kind of starting to slowly set in."
Vectren's Chase Kelley tells Eyewitness News, the company saw a sharp spike in the number of gas leak calls it received in the days following the explosion in Indianapolis.
Sunday night, Newburgh fire crews were on the scene of a large gas leak just a few short blocks away from Sharon Place.
Both Kelley and Bennett say there are things you can do to protect your home.
Bennett recommends, "Pay attention to things in your home, especially because we're getting in to the winter cooling season. It's a good idea to have your furnace inspected by a heating and air person; particularly if you've got gas appliances. Have things checked to make sure there are no carbon monoxide leaks." He continued, "Having your chimney inspected by a professional is important to make sure there's no build up."
And with Christmas right around the corner, fire officials say 'tis the season for holiday-related fires.
"Make sure you're not overloading cords with Christmas lights and adapters, particularly if you have large areas that you're decorating. If a cord is warm to the touch, that's too hot. You've got too much current running through it so you need to take some of the load off of it. Electric space heaters are another problem spot."
Vectren says, if you think you smell natural gas, you should get out of the house immediately and call the company or 911 any hour of the day or night.