Crews were called out just after 11:00 to 8309 Edinborough Road, just north of the airport, where they found the home's chimney on fire.
An adult and four children were inside, but made it out in time thanks to a smoke detector waking one of the children up. The child noticed fire in the wall above the fireplace.
Investigators believe something from a fire the family set earlier in the night got caught in the flew and spread.
Fire officials want to stress that homeonwners have their chimney cleaned and smoke detectors checked this time of year.