Lunch time has just ended here at Corpus Christi, and all seems calm, but that was not the case just a few hours earlier. "The first thought was oh my heavens, we bought that just a few days ago," says cafeteria employee Debbie Koressel. A simple side salad gave quite a scare when cafeteria workers purchased a container of spinach from Sam's Club. "Just yesterday we had a side salad for all of our children," says Koressel. The school received a phone call last night from Sam's Club informing them the spinach they bought could possibly have an E.coli contamination if the code on the container matched. The school acted quickly to let parents know."We at Corpus Christi do not know if our spinach has had, or was even from the re-call lot number. I am calling you out of concern of the students and staff of Corpus Christi School. If your child or you shows any signs of illness, please contact your heath care provider," says Principal Martha Craig. This faculty, however, didn't want to wait for the illness."She and I both decided we wouldn't sleep not knowing. We checked out the number that she had wrote down, so at nine-thirty she, her husband, and myself we're in the dumpster pulling out the empty container. We needed to know the truth," says Koressel. The code was a match, however, the Vanderburgh County Health Department says the school was E.coli free. "It looks like we are going to be fine. Even though the lot number matches up, the expiration was different than the one that was on the voluntary recall," says Craig. "It was a sight of relief even out in that dumpster at nine-thirty last night. I was worth it to know our children and staff we're safe."
We contacted the health department to see if any other places around the area received the same call from Sam's Club, and the school is all we heard of at this time. The school says they are relieved to hear they are E.coli free, and will still continue to do business with Sam's Club despite the scare.